Monday, August 27, 2007

Another One Bites the Dust

dust to dust

We predicted back in May that this local landmark's days were numbered, and (joining death and taxes in the "just a matter of when" category), yet another vestige of Williamsburg's industrial heritage is about to be demolished to make way for a (say it with me)...six story condo (collective yawn).

As we passed the site on North 6th and Wythe Monday morning, for the first time we recall in three years, the big plywood doors were swung open, revealing the former sawdust factory's interior. (When closed, the doors double as the fabled Faile wall, the site of several prominent Splasher manifestos, and a number of Splashings - a bit of a Wailing Wall for street art fans that's been wheat-pasted photographed countless times in recent years). A Bobcat sat ready to remove debris, and a Bay Crane sidewalk sign pretty much sealed the deal.

A well-informed bystander agreed that the complex is about to be leveled, and also clued us in to the building's history. National Sawdust operated for years on the site, producing (drumroll, please)...yep, sawdust. It seems the biodegradable, non-toxic, renewable stuff was used as a packing material for industries who shipped glass and other fragile goods, before the better living through chemistry folks cooked up things like bubble wrap, Styrofoam, and our all-time favorite, those polystyrene packing peanuts we spend hours cleaning up after we've given up diving for the object they're protecting and pour the damn things all over the living room floor.

Anyway, according to the gentleman, the plant used to mill several different grades of sawdust, and store them in huge bins in the large brick warehouse across the street at 78 North 6th, where nearby manufacturers could come and purchase the stuff in bulk. As recently as five years ago the mill was used to manufacture aquarium gravel. A company called National Sawdust - upstate in Monsey, NY - is listed in an online Blue Book, but a call to their number for more history led to a very ambiguous and soft-spoken answering machine message.

A fresh demolition permit was issued in early August for 71 North 6th (part of the complex of three or four structures that occupy the corner of Wythe Avenue and end at the iconic milling towers on North 6th), but nothing has been filed so far for the alleged condo. When If it does get built, we'll recommend the place to heavy sleepers and live music fans; the building is smack-dab across the street from Galapagos night club, and the impending 550-seat Music Hall of Williamsburg.

3 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

米蘭情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,飛機杯,自慰套,充氣娃娃,AV女優.按摩棒,跳蛋,潤滑液,角色扮演,情趣內衣,自慰器,穿戴蝴蝶,變頻跳蛋,無線跳蛋,電動按摩棒,情趣按摩棒


辣妹視訊,美女視訊,視訊交友網,視訊聊天室,視訊交友,視訊美女,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友90739,免費視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,視訊聊天,視訊交友aooyy
哈啦聊天室,辣妺視訊,A片,色情A片,視訊,080視訊聊天室,視訊美女34c,視訊情人高雄網,視訊交友高雄網,0204貼圖區,sex520免費影片,情色貼圖,視訊ukiss,視訊ggoo,視訊美女ggoo


080苗栗人聊天室,080中部人聊天室ut,ut影音視訊聊天室13077,視訊做愛,kk777視訊俱樂部,上班族聊天室,聊天室找一夜,情色交友,情色貼片,小瓢蟲情色論壇,aio交友愛情館

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like all of picture ,they are great!

we have lots of
spyder jacket
spyder jackets
spyder jackets
spyder jacket
cheap spyder jackets
mens spyder jackets
mens spyder jackets
cheap spyder jackets
womens spyder jackets
womens spyder jackets
discount spyder jacket
discount spyder jacket
ski equipment
ski equipment
ski clothing
ski clothing
ski clothes
ski clothes
ski jackets
ski jackets
ski wear
wilson racket
ski wear
snowboard jackets
snowboard jackets
snowboard clothing
wilson tennis racket
snowboard clothing
snowboard clothes
tennis racket
snow clothing
snowboard clothes
spyder ski clothing
snow clothing
wholesale polo shirts
cheap polo shirts
cheap polo shirts
wholesale polo shirts
wholesale polo shirts
welcom to our store and sorry to bother you..

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Ahitra Gaethon said...

I live in Madagascar ( East Africa),and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as I have been going through a problem as seriously as my son found a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and I could not pay the bills, then your surgery went to the bank to borrow and reject me saying that I have no credit card, from there i run to my father and he was not able to help, then when I was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee, offering loans at affordable interest rate I had no choice but to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, I got a loan of $ 110,000.00 to paid for my son surgery then get myself a comfortable business to help me going as well. I thank God today is good and you can walk and is working and the burden is longer so much on me more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to myself that I will mourn aloud in the world of the wonders of God to me through this God fearing lender Mr Benjamin Breil Lee and I would advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this God-fearing man on ...... 247officedept@gmail.com through .. and I want you all to pray for this man for me or Chat with him on whatsapp +1-989-394-3740 as well.
Thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home